Gold lacquer ô’yoroi
Price: € 4.800,00
A striking all-matching Japanese gold lacquer ô’yoroi (great suit-of-armour) with vibrant orange cords, a multicoloured and light orange hem (kin’urushinuri hi’ito hi’suso tôsei gusoku ô’yoroi).
– 28-plate black lacquer koboshi’bachi kabuto (helmet with small seated rivets) with decorative plates between with a reticulated chrysanthemum (kiku) design. Large short and broad kuwagata-antlers placed in u-shaped hardware with an elaborate reticulated chrysanthemum design surmounted by an en-suite circular maedate. Wide 5-tiered chrysanthemum-shaped tehen’no’kanamono (decorative apex fitting), 3-tiered gold lacquer ‘kiritsuke kozane’-plate shikoro (neck guards) transcending into large back-bending fukikaeshi (face guards) covered with light decorative ‘smoked leather’ and fitted with circular appliques with a chrysanthemum flower head design.
– Black lacquer ‘angry man’-facial mask (resseibô) with a ruffled brown moustache and goatee, separate nose-piece, and 4-tiered gold lacquered ‘kiritsuke kozane’-plate gorget (yodarekake).
– Sode (shoulder guards), ô-type, rectangular of shape constructed with 6 rows of ‘kiritsuke kozane’-plates. Equipped with long light orange silk cords with decorative tassels.
– Kote (bracer), shino-type, gold lacquer metal pieces connected by Japanese mail (kaushi-gusari), placed over purple silk with orange and pink chrysanthemum (kiku) design. The hand guards (tekko) are decorated with various flower-emblems in relief.
– Dô (cuirass), ‘môgami’-type, gold lacquered ‘kiritsuke kozane’-plates laced with orange silk cords. In front two, and in the back one kiku-shaped cord ring, the latter with a large age’maki (decorative silk tassel). 7-parts of 5-piece ‘kiritsuke kozane’-plate kusazuri (tassets).
– Haidate (thigh armour) of 5-rows of 12 gold lacquered ‘iyo’-plates, matching silk and decorative ‘smoked leather’ borders.
– Suneate (shin guards), tsubo-type, gold lacquer form-fitting metal plates continuing in a wing-shaped top, fastened by matching silk tateage.
– Pair of kegutsu (fur shoes) made of light brown fur (wear).
With a large rectangular black lacquered store-box for an ô’yoroi (kara’bitsu) raised by spreading feet equipped with protective metal hardware.
Height 160 cm, Width 80 cm, Depth 60 cm.
Period: Japan – Taishô period (1912-1926).
Considering its age in a very good original condition with minimal traces of age and wear, like some minimal lacquer loss. Helmet with one loose loop on the inside. Please look at the photos for a clear condition reference.
We include a wooden stand and an explanation how to put this armour on display. When shipped we will add a certificate of authenticity.